This article will show you the procedures of adding mixed numbers with regrouping. There is a free printable worksheet attached to this article.
5 Free Adding Mixed Numbers with Regrouping Worksheets
Download the following worksheet and practice with your eager kiddos.
Whole numbers with fractions are known as mixed numbers. The jumbled numbers are actually improper fractions. You can use the mixed number 1 ½, whose improper form is 3/2.
Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are the fundamental operations of mathematics. I’ll demonstrate the addition to you in this essay.
However, I’ll focus on Mixed Numbers here. The pdf that is included with this post should assist your children in grade 5 to grade 7 in becoming familiar with the fundamentals of addition.
Addition of Mixed Numbers with Regrouping
We are going to add two mixed numbers in this portion of this article. The whole worksheets also show the same things. To add two mixed numbers, let’s consider two mixed numbers 1 ⅗ and 2 ⅘. The first step is to add the fractions ⅗ and ⅘.
After adding, you will get the result of this operation as 7/5. Then, add the whole numbers. You will get result 3 after adding the whole numbers. Now, the 7/5 is an improper fraction. We need to make it a mixed fraction. Here, we will divide 7 by 5.
The quotient is 1 and the remainder is 2. So the mixed number will be 1 ⅖. Then, sum up the whole number of the mixed fraction with the former whole number like 3+1=4. As a result, the final summation is 4 ⅖.
5 Activities for Adding Mixed Numbers with Regrouping
Our children will be able to learn basic mathematics very quickly and interactively with the help of these adding mixed numbers with regrouping. These approaches are quite successful. These methods should assist your young champ in learning the basics of mathematical operation learning and laying a solid foundation. Follow the step-by-step procedures for adding mixed numbers with regrouping worksheet activities given below.
- Fill in the Blanks
- Adding Mixed Numbers with Regrouping Board game
- Pick the Correct Answer Game
- Add a Whole Number with a Mixed Number
- A New Way to Add Mixed Numbers
Fill in the Blanks
- First, write down the questions with fractions and gaps.
- Fill in the blanks where required.
- You need to follow the steps of regrouping mentioned earlier
- Finish the activity.
- You also can visualize the fractions by using manipulatives by following this article.
Adding Mixed Numbers with Regrouping Board Game
- Roll the dice.
- If the student land on a picture, the teacher will give him or her a problem to solve from the worksheets.
- If he or she can answer the problem correctly, he or she will proceed with the game. Otherwise, he or she will be stuck in that position.
- The game will be continued in this manner.
- The first student to finish the game will win the game.
Pick the Correct Answer Game
- First, gather the students together.
- Provide a problem written on the blackboard for the students.
- You will give four options and the correct answer to the problem will be in the options.
- Pick a student.
- Then, ask him to solve the problem.
- Help him if he or she needed any help.
- Lastly, choose the correct answer from the options.
Add a Whole Number with a Mixed Number
- This is an easy activity.
- First, Make your students write the problems in their notebooks.
- Then, add the whole numbers with the whole numbers of the mixed fractions.
- Get the result.
A New Way to Add Mixed Numbers
- In this way, first, all the fractions will be changed into improper fractions. For example, if you are given the fractions 3 ¾ and 2 ¼. Then, you need to change the mixed numbers to improper fractions by multiplying the denominator with the whole number and then sum up the result with numerator. For 3 ¾, you can change the numerator to 3×4+3 =15. So the fraction will be 15/4.
- After changing all the mixed numbers into improper fractions, you will follow the simple fraction-adding rules.
- Finally, you will get the result.
Download the Worksheet
Please download the free pdf for borrowing worksheets.
When kids are creating, painting, and exploring math is so much fun. Take advantage of these enjoyable worksheets as you search for adding mixed numbers with regrouping! Please leave questions or recommendations in the comment section if you have any. I hope that these exercises benefit both you and your kids.
You’ve Got This!!
Hi there! This is Souptik Roy, a graduate of the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, working as a Content Developer for the You Have Got This Math project of SOFTEKO. I am a person with a curious and creative mind. After finishing my Engineering degree, I want to explore different fields. This is why I am working here as a content developer. I have a massive interest in creative content writing. When I find that someone can learn something from my articles, this gives a lot of inspiration. hopefully, you will find interest in my article, if you have a child and want to teach them math with fun.