Visual Fraction Model
This visual fraction model game is a great way to introduce children to fractions. This fraction game helps children recognize fractions and their visual models.
Math games! They are incredibly important to your math time. A game during math time brings in excitement, competition, and most importantly practice.
Table of Contents
Most children do not enjoy sitting down to do a worksheet. Have them practice that same concept in a game….well that’s fun!
Today, I have another game for you to help children identify fractions and their visual fraction models.
It is important that when introducing children to fractions they understand a couple of things.
- First, they must know that a fraction is part of a whole….but those parts are always equal.
- Secondly, children need to recognize that a denominator tells us how many equal parts the fraction is divided up into.
- Thirdly, the numerator represents the number of equal parts you have.
- Lastly, a child should be able to find visual models such as pies, pizzas, shapes, number lines, etc that equal fractions.
When we expose children to different models that represent fractions, we are helping them solidify what numerators and denominators are.
Want more help on teaching fractions with visual models and number lines. Check out his series that Math Geek Mama and I did together.
This game is very simple to prepare.
- First, print off the game board and game pieces
- Cut out the game pieces you would like to use….the full version includes number lines as well as an equivalent fraction option.
- Finally, gather up two sets of blocks. You could use pattern blocks, two colors of LEGOS, yellow and red circles, etc.
Introduction to Fractions Games
This game is similar to tic-tac-toe with an exception. Each child chooses the spot they want to move to, but then they must find the fraction model that matches it.
If they choose the correct fraction model they may place their pattern block on that fraction. If they choose the wrong fraction model, they must put their pattern block on that fraction.
Obviously, if they are choosing the wrong fraction you will have to help them find the correct fraction on the board. But what a great way to discuss fractions and get some extra teaching time in too.
The players continue taking turns until someone has three in a row or all the spaces are filled.
Obviously, if they are choosing the wrong fraction you will have to help them find the correct fraction on the board.
But what a great way to discuss fractions and get some extra teaching time in too. The players continue taking turns until someone has three in a row or all the spaces are filled.
Recognizing fractions, numerators, denominators, and their visual models is an important skill. I hope you enjoy playing this as much as my guys did!!
Get the extended version of this game HERE
Visual Fraction Models Game Printable
Below is the free visual fraction models game printable. You can download this printable by clicking on the download button, then save it to your device, and print it.Fractions-With-Visual-Models-Game