These subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping worksheets will help to visualize and understand subtraction and coloring. 3rd-grade students will learn basic subtraction methods as well as mixed numbers and can improve their basic math skills with our free printable subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping worksheets.
8 Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Regrouping Worksheets
Download the following worksheets and practice more.
Subtract Mixed Numbers with Regrouping
You can subtract mixed numbers in many different ways. One of them is the regrouping method. This is a special method for mixed numbers. Tn this article, I will show you the procedures for subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping worksheets.
You can regroup the mixed numbers for subtraction as given below: Suppose, you are going to subtract 4 ¾ and 3 ¼. Then, first, you need to subtract ¼ from ¾.
You will find the result 2/4. Then subtract the whole numbers and the answer will be 1. Finally, you will get the result 1 2/4 or, 1 ½. But if you get two mixed fractions like 4 ¼ and 3 ¾.
Like- the fraction in the upper place is smaller than the fraction in the lower number. Now you have to regroup the whole numbers and fractions. First, take a whole 1 from the 4.
The 4 will become 3 now as you have taken 1 from 4. You can now write the 1 as 4/4. Then sum it up with the ¼. As a result, you will get 5/4 instead of ¼. Now subtract the 3/4 from 5/4.
You will get the result on 2/4. Meanwhile, subtract the whole numbers. The upper number 4 has become 3 now and the lower number is 3. So, subtract 3 from 3. You will get the answer 0. So the final result is 2/4 or ½. You can find many problems like these is subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping worksheets
4 Activities of Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Regrouping
These approaches are quite successful. These methods should assist your young champ in learning the basics of mathematical operation learning and laying a solid foundation. Follow the step-by-step procedures for subtracting mixed numbers with regrouping worksheet activities given below.
Subtract Mixed Numbers with Regrouping Using Manipulatives
Let’s imagine we are trying to deduct 3 from 1 1/3. It appears challenging. I must regroup and take a fraction from the three because I can’t remove 1/3 from 0.
- Lay up the number that you will be subtracting from in front of you to start. The hexagon will always be considered to be one whole. I’ll set up three hexagons in front of me since I’m subtracting from three.
- I want to subtract 1/3 first, but I only have three wholes, thus I am unable to do so. Your students should be aware that the rhombus is equivalent to 1/3 of a hexagon if they have ever played with pattern blocks. So we are going to replace a hexagon with three rhombuses.
- I can finally subtract. I take one rhombus or one-third. Then I remove 1 entire, which is 1 hexagon.
- Calculating the fraction that the extra pattern blocks represent is all that has to be done. I have two rhombuses, giving me two-thirds, and one hexagon, giving me one. 1 2/3 is the result of 3 – 1 1/3.
Subtract from Mixed Numbers with Regrouping to Fill the Blanks
- First, write down the questions with fractions and gaps.
- Fill in the blanks where required.
- You need to follow the steps of regrouping mentioned earlier
- Finish the activity.
- You also can visualize the fractions by using manipulatives by following the previous activity.
A New Way to Subtract Mixed Numbers with Regrouping
- In this way, first, all the fractions will be changed into improper fractions. For example, if you are given the fractions 3 ¾ and 2 ¼. Then, you need to change the mixed numbers to improper fractions by multiplying the denominator with the whole number and then sum up the result with the numerator. For 3 ¾, you can change the numerator to 3×4+3 =15. So the fraction will be 15/4.
- After changing all the mixed numbers into improper fractions, you will follow the simple fraction subtracting rules.
- Finally, you will get the result.
Subtract a Whole Number from a Mixed Number with Regrouping
- First, write down the problem in your notebook.
- You can use both the regrouping process or the process shown in the former method.
- You will need to change the mixed number if you want to follow the rule mentioned in the former method. Follow any one of the rules.
- Subtract the whole number from the fraction after that.
- You will get the final result then.
Download the Free Printable Worksheet
Please download the free PDF for borrowing worksheets.
So today, we’ve discussed mixed numbers with regrouping worksheets for 3rd grade using manipulatives, filling in the blanks, a new way to subtract, and subtracting a whole number. Download our free worksheets, and after practicing these worksheets, students will surely improve their mathematical skills and have a better understanding of subtractions and mixed numbers.
Hi there! This is Souptik Roy, a graduate of the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, working as a Content Developer for the You Have Got This Math project of SOFTEKO. I am a person with a curious and creative mind. After finishing my Engineering degree, I want to explore different fields. This is why I am working here as a content developer. I have a massive interest in creative content writing. When I find that someone can learn something from my articles, this gives a lot of inspiration. hopefully, you will find interest in my article, if you have a child and want to teach them math with fun.