Base Ten Block Numerals
It is an important skill that children in kindergarten and first grade are asked to learn and then memorize. And there are many ways children can focus on learning them.
Table of Contents
And today we will be focusing on ten frames.
Ten frames are great for visual learners.
Researchers such as Van de Walle and Bobis developed this concept to help children develop number sense especially with the reference of tens.
As children see dots on ten frames it helps them begin to visualize the value of the number and its relationship to 10. This is why teaching children to add to 10 using 10 frames is very helpful.
For example, once a child recognizes what seven looks like on a ten frame, they can easily see that there are three empty spaces. Now it is easy for them to notice that 3 and 7 together make 10.
Now, all we have to do is introduce them to equations, and help our littles one be able to write out 7 + 3 = 10. It is a fun, and hands-on way to teach adding to 10.
Ten Frames Worksheets
There is almost no prep-work for this printable.
- First, print enough Base Ten Activities for each of your students.
- Next, grab some Do – A- Dot markers.
- You are ready to go!
How to Use Making 10 Do-A-Dot Sheets
There are two variations of Making Ten Do-a Dot sheets.
- The first variation has dots already on the ten frames. The children then use their Do -A – Dot to fill in all the rest of the ten frame and then create an equation. In this example, there were already 3 dots. The child completed the ten frame by making 7 dots. Now they can easily see that the 3 + 7 = 10 and can write the equation in the blanks.
- In this variation, only the equation is provided. Children use two colors of Do- A – Dot markers to fill in the ten frames so that represents the equation.
- In this example, the equation is 6 + 4 = 10. The child used yellow to make six dots, and purple to make four dots. Now they have modeled 6 + 4 = 10.
I hope these ten frames printables help your children learn and begin to memorize the number the make 10.
Learning all the different combos to make 10 is important. I hope these Base Ten Worksheets make it fun for your child!
Base Ten Worksheets
What’s also fun about these ten frames worksheets is that there are 4 different varieties. This allows for small group work or comparisons. They can work individually and then get together and compare answers and solutions to how they got to 10.Making10DoADot-ALLINONE