Subtraction Mats | Free Printables
Why is it that adding comes so much easier for kids? In all my years of teaching, I can honestly say I have only had one kiddo that thought subtraction was easier. so here we are introducing subtraction mats to make subtraction more easy to learn. With my children now in this critical age of learning to add and subtract, I know that I have to provide them with tons of opportunities to explore subtraction through games, and manipulatives, and help them connect addition and subtraction.
Subtraction Mats for Your Youngsters to Learn Subtraction
Our children will be able to learn how to subtract very easily and interactively with the help of these mats. This approach is quite successful. This method should assist your young champ in learning basic math operations and laying a solid calculating foundation.
Another way to practice is having children participate in expression sorts. Allowing children to participate in expression sorts builds their logical reasoning and can even prepare them for algebra. It also helps children to begin to develop fluency in math. Though using manipulatives is an important part of learning addition and subtraction, it is also important that they begin to memorize basic addition and subtraction facts. Doing expression sorts numerous times allows children to become familiar with expressions and what they equal. These free subtraction mats are a wonderful way to participate in these sorts, and the patriotic theme makes them perfect for summer or labor day!
Required Prep Work
- Print off subtraction mats and expressions on cardstock paper
- Cut out expressions
- Put a magnet on the back of the expression and use a cookie tray or place Velcro on mats and the expression
Directions for Using Subtraction Mats
- Decide what numbers you want your child or children to work on, and pull out those mats and the expressions that match.
- Children solve the expression and place it on the correct mat.
- If your child is struggling to solve the expression provide some manipulatives. Show them how to count manipulatives to match the first number in the expression. Next help them take away the correct number. Finally, show them how to count what is left and help them realize that this is the answer! As they become more confident subtracting with manipulatives, see what they can do on their own from memory.
Download the PDF
Download the following PDF and play with your kiddo with joy.
Enjoy this free printable and build your child’s logic reasoning and subtraction skills. If you have any kind of questions or suggestions, feel free to write them down in the comment box. You’ve Got This Math