Practice how to multiply decimals with models using these FREE task cards. Children will color in decimal grids to solve problems, as well as create equations based on a colored in a decimal grid.
You can get the FREE printable by clicking on the large blue button at the very end of the post.
If you have read any of my blog, you know I have a passion for math. But it isn’t just creating games to make math a little more fun, it is about helping children understand math. To not just be able to solve a problem with a formula, but to be able to explain why the formula works.
Area models are one easy way to do this. They can be used with multiplication, division, fractions, and even decimals. And today I have some FREE task cards to help your children multiply decimals with models.
Multiply Decimals with Models
Now that the task cards are ready. How do we create models to find the answer to a multiplication problem involving decimals.
I’m glad you asked, and it is a lot easier than you think it is.
- First, we begin by looking that the first factor and color that number in on the decimal grid.
2. Next, we look at the second product and color in that number on the decimal grid. The only thing to be aware of here is to do the opposite of what you did last time. If you colored in the first factor horizontally, you will need to color in the second factor vertically.
3. Finally, it is time to count up how many of the squares are colored in twice. This is the answer.
Finding an Equation from the Decimal Grid
Some of the task cards have the model already colored in, and the children get to figure out the equation.
- First, the look at one color and decide what decimal that color represents.
2. Next, they look at the second color and figure out what decimal that color represents. This will be the second factor.
3. Finally, they look at the color that shows where the two factors overlap. This is the product or answer.
Having children Multiply Decimals with Models helps them understand why the answer will be smaller, and also help them understand where decimals go.Multiplying-Decimals-By-Whole-Numbers-Coloring-Pages
You’ve Got This,
You may also like:
Or one of my most popular bundles...Introducing Decimals. It will teach your students how to model decimals!
American Educational Decimal Squares One SetOrdering Decimals Song For Kids: Rounding and Comparing with Place ValueFractions, Decimals, & Percents Bingo Game24 Game: Fractions/Decimals by Suntex International